Saturday, June 2, 2007

A Day In the Life of a Realtor®

Normally I don't blog about my daily experiences but something happened Thursday evening that has stayed on my mind. I wrote a post a few days ago without having personal experience with it but now it hit home. Well, it happened when I trekked out to show a home.

My client had gotten really excited about this one home. New enough to still have tax abatement. Very affordable. And the on line photos gave it great curb appeal and interior updates. I made the appointment with the listing agent, and set out to show it. Arriving a few minutes before the scheduled time, I decided to go ahead and open the door. That should have been my first clue. It was jammed. My clients arrived and with the help of one of them, we got the back door open, although that was not easy either. Once inside, the home looked nothing, anymore, like the on line photos. Dry wall smashed out of every room, particles all over the floor. Every piece of wiring was gone. The copper pipes were gone.

This home featured an updated bath with jetted tub and really nice fixtures. Well the bath was no longer nice, believe me. It was surreal. The three of us kept wandering around. My clients were a young married couple and the gentleman wandered into the basement first. He announced a flood. I checked it out, half of the basement had standing water because even though the vacant home had been winterized (which means water turned off so pipes don't burst in below freezing weather), the pipes had water in them and as they were ripped out a flood appeared. Now the home is not only vandalized but in this weather, in danger of becoming a festering haven of mold before you know it.

I of course called and left a message for the listing agent (who oddly has never called me back nor responded to my emails) to make sure she knew what was going on. My clients and I secured the windows and doors and left.

So you have a home, built in a neighborhood in need of revitalization. And less than five years after it is built, it's now trashed. There is something very sad about that. Peace Out - 3C

4 comments:

krisk said...

It is so depressing to find homes in poor condition, especially ones you would expect to be in decent shape due to their age. Some people should not be allowed to own a home.

Cleveland Carole Cohen 3C said...

Kristal I found it odd that the photos did not show the vandalism so I am not sure when it all ocurred; yes very sad.

Laurie Manny said...

I'll just bet the seller lives out of state. That is horrible.

Cleveland Carole Cohen 3C said...

Laurie I'm not sure about the story because in reality there is no history of this home being on the market anymore than two months; and the photos were definitely without vandalism. I think it's newer than that. And in this case the sellers are a bank. All I know is at one point the house was pretty and updated and now.... it's not.